Event Phone: (888) 782-4969 Ext. 1
- De-escalation and Mindful Breathing 181129-DMB-RTC-002
November 29, 2018
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
It is now generally understood that police officers are placed in remarkably difficult situations that are often life-threatening. Even the United States Supreme Court has explained that police contacts can be tense, uncertain and rapidly evolving. It is no surprise that officers often struggle to adjust from an extremely high-stress, fight or flight encounters, back into the mild-mannered neighborhood police officer.
We understand that each day our first responders experience stressors that trigger a series of physiological changes known as fight or flight. This can include increased heart rate, muscle tone, blood pressure, decrease of fine motor skills, auditory exclusion, and tunnel vision. They remain is this state until the parasympathetic system returns body and mind to a resting state. Learning how to control this response allows for improved decision-making and rational thoughts that consider longer term consequences extending beyond the next few moments.
De-escalation and Mindful Breathing was specifically created to assist first responders in managing stress before, during, and after stressful encounters to ensure enhanced decision-making during a crisis and the ability to rapidly return from the fight or flight response. The immediate benefits are apparent, but this course also equips students with the ability to improve long-term health.
Students who complete this 8-hour course will be able to:
- Apply these techniques during a tactical event such as an active shooter
- Rapidly de-escalate a violent encounter
- Explain how to manage emotions before, during, and after a crisis
- Describe how to manipulate their heart rate and nervous system to elevate stress
- Apply Breathing techniques to remain calm and focused in high stress situations
- Read a suspect’s breathing pattern as cues to mindset
- Apply breathing techniques to improve heart health, decrease pain, relax, and sleep better
The Los Angeles County Regional Training Center (LACRTC) is committed to respecting and protecting the privacy of our customers. Your information will not be provided to third party providers of any kind or utilized for purposes outside of updates regarding our training courses and offerings. For additional information please see our Terms & Conditions.
Vacant hospital and administrative building with onsite classroom. Restaurants near training location